Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard

Default Safety glass for boat windows

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:55:01 -0500 (EST), (Ron
Thornton) sent into the ether:

Someone recently was asking about what material to replace windows with.
That got me thinking today as I got into my '90 YJ Jeep, that the
windshield would be a good candidate for the center cabin windows in my
Irwin 37. Nice and flat. Its rectangular which I like better than the
stream lined profile that's in there now. I'll have to go to the boat
to measure if it's long enough. I don't think I would mount it the way
it is on the Jeep cause pop out windows are probably not a good feature
on a boat.

The glass out of the back doors of a panel truck is usually flat and
might be a good choice for a windshield.

Any reason why I wouldn't want to use auto glass in a boat?

Ron

Nope, as long as you follow a few simple rules.

Laminated glass in US auto windshields is designed to break, but hold
together and not let you penetrate it. In Europe, I think, the
windshields have a second lamination on the inside to minimize cuts.
Side auto windows are made from a single sheet of tempered glass.
Generally you do not want tempered glass where you might impact it,
like in a windshield, as you may incur consideral impact damage to
your head and body. Tempered glass is not unbreakable, but takes much
more force to shatter than non-tempered or laminated glass.

Then again, you may want to take your demensions to a glass shop and
ask about getting laminated and tempered glass made to fit your needs.
Laminated glass takes experience to cut without breaking it and
tempered cannot be cut without shattering it.

You can even get laminated glass made with one or more tempered
pieces. One more thing, all glass, but especially tempered glass is
vulnerable to breakage by hitting/tapping/bumping the edge.

Hopes this helps.

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com