HEMI-Powered HEMI-Powered is offline

Default Link Titanic disaster

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht

In The Netherlands every car older than 3 year has to be checked
every year by a garage who has their qualifications to do so.
So every year in September I hope my 16 years old Renault 19 will
make it. If something is wrong it has to be fixed, if not you may
not drive that car anymore.
I think its a good thing, you don't see rusty vehicles on the road
any more.

I somewhat often see cars so crappy they are actually a danger to
those around them. Bald tires, fascias hanging literally, smoke
pouring out the tailpipe, everything. Sad.

Thats new for me, I thougt safety came first in the USA.
But go to Ireland or Poland and other east-European countrys, I
think its even worse than in America.

Safety is paramount only for new cars. Car makers must certify to very
rigorous MVSS (Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). I'm not familiar with
individual state safety and emissions requirements so beyond
California's very strict rules from CARB (California Air Resources
Board) on tailpipe emissions, I'm sure there are at least some states
that also do safety inspections, but our driver's licensing process is
generally quite loose. e.g., in Michigan, you literally CANNOT fail the
10 or 12 question written test you must take only every 8 years. I
asked which one(s) I missed the last time I took it and the clerk told
me it didn't matter as EVERYONE passes! Then, what's the sense of a
test?!

But, I do not think that ANY state is any near as tough as you're
saying The Netherlands is, nor do I think any are as tough as I
remember the inspection for my car in West Germany when I bought it and
when I needed a re-inspection before selling it. We just don't do much.
And, while the police DO inspect vehicles involved in injury or fatal
accidents, it takes something pretty bad before the driver is ticketed.
However, car companies are routinely sued by drivers, passengers, or
surviving relatives in serious injury and fatality accidents not for
safety per se but for alleged product liability, i.e., the plaintiffs
allege the accident was caused by faulty design and/or manufacture.
Most are dismissed or the car company wins but there are notable
exceptions.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"