posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Larry Larry is offline

Default 'Captain' (was) Lessons to be learned from the wreck of the 'RED CLOUD'

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

I used to coach an age group swim team on a Navy base, and I let the
active duty guys practice with us - some of them did Masters swimming.
One of the guys was an AF Captain. Since this was a Navy base, there
were some raised eyebrows when the kids cheered for him by yelling Go
Captain. Because in the Navy, Captain is a pretty exalted rank.

I had a buddy who was an AF captain. Some idiot made the mistake of
sending this misfit as the AF liason to a Navy unit on a Navy base. Stan
said he loved the Navy! They put him up in a VERY nice little house
because he was a captain, instead of housing him at the BOQ. And, when he
wanted to go to the O-club, he could call a number and say, "This is
Captain Kohli at (his address), can you send a car around to take me to the
O-club?" and a nice sailor in his whites would show up in a brand new car.

They had a lot of trouble "recovering" Stan from the Navy base. For some
reason, he never wanted to leave!