posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default 'Captain' (was) Lessons to be learned from the wreck of the 'RED CLOUD'

Molesworth wrote:

In article ,
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:28:41 -0500, Molesworth
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

In the some sixty years that I've been messing around in boats I have
never heard a professional seaman refer to himself as "the good
captain" so I assume that you are some sort of ignoramus that knows
nothing and rates right along side such other sterling examples of
stupidity as the Good Captain Neil and Wilbur (the guy that can't
spell his name correctly) for competency.

I sailed into harbor in W Fla for the night and was addressed as
'Captain' by the dockie. I was single-handing but I still squirm with
embarrassment as I don't consider myself to be experienced enough to
earn that title.

And I don't know when/if I'll be comfortable with it either.

However, someone has to be in charge (me).. Hmm, a quandary!

It is common courtesy to address the master of a vessel as "Captain"
but one does not introduce one's self as Captain unless one is a
serving military officer in which case it is proper to announce one's
rank, primarily so that others know how to address you.

Yes - my daughter was walking across an AF base one day in civvies and
one of the enlisted guys started to chat her up. At some point early
in the conversation, she had to explain that she was an officer (and
also engaged to be married)

A Navy/CG Captain is the equivalent of an Army/AF/Marine Colonel.
A Navy Commander is the equivalent of an Army Lt. Colonel
A Navy Lt. Commander is the equivalent of an Army Major
A Navy Lt. is the equivalent of an Army Captain
A Navy Lt. junior grade is the equivalent of an army 1st Lt.

I used to coach an age group swim team on a Navy base, and I let the
active duty guys practice with us - some of them did Masters swimming.
One of the guys was an AF Captain. Since this was a Navy base, there
were some raised eyebrows when the kids cheered for him by yelling Go
Captain. Because in the Navy, Captain is a pretty exalted rank.

But 'Corporal' doesn't have the same ring, now does it?

LOL

Isn't a Corporal enlisted? (i.e. not an officer). The equivalent of
a Petty Officer third class.

However, I can live with 'Skipper'.