HEMI-Powered HEMI-Powered is offline

Default Link Titanic disaster

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

I don't know if there is an English word for, I could not find it
but send you a small picture, we call then "popnagels" and use
them wit a popnageltang (see other pic), do you know them in
America? We are not allowed to use them anymore to fix damage on a
car.

They're called Pop Rivets here in the US of A. And as to fixing
the sheet metal on a car, they are only used by "backyard
mechanics" to do quick repairs so they can sell the car fast.

Thanks, In the Netherlands its forbidden to use them in cars.
If you buy a car with pop rivets even if you didn't know, you have
to fix it proprly or you lose your car if the police checks your
car..

I'm not surprised that you have strong vehicle safety laws. I had to
have a number of expensive repairs made to the car I owned while I was
in the Army before the police inspector would pass it for a sale to a
new owner. We once had emissions inspections in many states here in the
USA but they were weak and ineffective and were repealed. We don't have
ANY safety inspections I am aware of but we should as I see many cars
driving around with very obvious safety defects and it makes me wonder
what is hidden from view that might make the car dangerous to its
occupants and to others on the road, including me.

I've talked about pop rivets a couple of times now but I agree that
they are inherently dangerous when used in safety-critical areas of a
car or places where high strength in a collision or high-speed maneuver
are important.

And Bouler, your English is just fine. I just wish mine was half
as good and English is my first and only language.

Thanks for the compliment wizofwas (special nick;-)

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"