Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default Fuel Tank Inspection Cover Leak

On Mon, 12 May 2008 14:00:47 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I have an aluminum fuel tank which has about a 6-8" inspection cover made
out of the same material. The cover screws through a rubber type gasket
and the screws are threaded into the tank material. One or two of the
screws have stripped the threads and the tank weeps diesel primarily when
it's completely full. Basically I think that I have 2 options to repair
this.

1) Redrill/tap with larger screws
2) JB Weld a nut on the inside.

Any comments/suggestions?

At the Boeing company they occasionally **** up a rivet.
They drill it out and install an oversized one, they call a 'Lockheed
Rivet'

So put in 'Lockheed Screws'

So how thick is the material? If it's thin, it might be a good idea to
have more screws.

Casady