wizofwas[_2_] wizofwas[_2_] is offline

Default Link Titanic disaster

"Bouler" wrote in message

"HEMI - Powered" schreef in bericht
Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

[snip]
Here you can read what I wrote.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/titan..._rivets_book_s
ay s/

A little logic here, you have to know not every link is complete and
sometimes broken.
Because the link was to large the last symbol is on the next rule.
Try again with on the end "says/".
You could have known Jerry grin

I'll try again but I thought my URL was OK. But, as to your writing it
vs. reading it, let me respectfully refer you to your exact words, in
English, of course, right under your [snip] - "here you can read what I
WROTE". Did I misunderstand/misconstrue your intent here?

My mistake, I must have had a black out and thought wrote was the past

tense
of read (sorry sir;-)

OK, I tried it again, I THINK the way you suggested, to wit:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/titan...vets_book_says
/

I have Xnews line width set right now so that the only character that
wrapped is the slash. If I still have it wrong, please hold my hand,
you know what an Internet newbie I am!

I clicked on the link and it brought me were I had to be.
See screenshot.

Bouler, I looked here but cannot find a reference to you
specifically. Could you please provide a closer link into the
American Bar Association web site where you wrote an article on the
rivets of the Titanic?

I did not write it, I read it, I'm a teacher, not a technichen.;-)

Please see my comment on this above and help me understand where I went
wrong.

I did, and and you were right and I meant read in stead of wrote, humble
apollogies.;-)

I commented on the rivets briefly, I shall expand from my somewhat
meager knowledge of this particular aspect of the disaster.

To my knowledge, the rivet issue is one of faulty metalurgy based
on common practice of ship builders of the day. The problem is
believed to be two-fold: steel with an inconsistent amount of
carbon content making ductility variable from quite soft to
extremely brittle based on original pouring of the rivets and the
already present ductility variability further aggravated by some
amount of annealing due to the temperature the rivets were heated
to, presumeably red-hot, from some annealing down to very little.
If an already brittle steel were incompletely annealed by the
heating process, it is much more likely to fracture and fail under
much less than it's design stresses and strains, thus in the case
of the Titanic, it is believed that many rivets simply popped as
the hull scraped along a submerged part of the iceberg, allowing
water to seep in at an unanticipated rate through partially buckled
steel hull plates.

Expanding on some other engineering aspects believed relevant in
the Titanic sinking, the steel of the hull plates themselves were
also suspected with modern technology and investigation techniques
to be substandard from both a normal yield strength and from a
tendency to be too brittle, again leading to buckled and sheared
off hull plates which would cause vast amounts of water to
overwhelm the watertight bulkhead doors and sink the ships.
Unfortunatly, this cannot be confirmed or dismissed as the hull is
lying (laying?) on its starboard side.

Its your first language, my thirdgrin but we both know what you
mean. You have much more knowledge of iron and steel then I have, at
least the used rivets in cars to if I'm not mistaken.
I said used because I think its no longer allowed, correct me if I'm
wrong.

Yes, Bouler, I'm aware that you're gifted with two more languages than
I am, save a dozen words I might be able to cobble together in Polish
or German.

You forget German and French, but not so good as the other three;-)

And, yes, rivets were used in cars, as recently as in the 2002 Chrysler
Prowler I owned a few years ago. The BIG difference was that car rivets
are relatively small and generally are simple attachment devices with
similar strength to a sheet metal screw. They're typically inserted
with a ribbon of rivets along a tape in something like an ammo belt for
a machine gun, with the rivet gun itself being either a manual tool one
squeezes to get the force or an air tool, as used in early car
applications.

I don't know if there is an English word for, I could not find it but send
you a small picture, we call then "popnagels" and use them wit a
popnageltang (see other pic), do you know them in America?
We are not allowed to use them anymore to fix damage on a car.

They're called Pop Rivets here in the US of A. And as to fixing
the sheet metal on a car, they are only used by "backyard mechanics"
to do quick repairs so they can sell the car fast.

And Bouler, your English is just fine. I just wish mine was half as good
and English is my first and only language.

wizofwas