Chris

Default Trolling motor shaft seal for 150 ft depth

Well,

uh, reality check. Ok, this is the budget:

Rough estimate was
$200 for batteries and charger,
$100 for Battery housing (large PVC tube or similar)

I don't know what model of trolling motor I'd have
to use, and the pressure proofing is the other unknown.
I thought it would be doable, as they are already designed
for submersion, the only possible problem at depth being the
shaft seal.

DPVs start at around $1000, $3500 for good ones. Do you
think I would have to spend $700 on the trolling motor
and shaft seals or oil filling?

Thanks again,

Chris

Stephen Baker wrote:

Chris says:

snip

I was thinking about converting one into a diver propulsion
vehicle, (DPV, basically a small torpedo that slowly tows
a diver) because they are available much cheaper than DPVs.

snip

By the time you buy all the parts, oil fill what needs to be oil filled,
fabricate your casing, buy your high-pressure bearings, etc, and assemble the
brute, you will have spent more than if you bought the finished product from an
assembly-line with DPV stencilled on the side. Chances are the innards will be
exactly what you are putting in yours, but with the economies of scale built
into the pricing.

HTH ;-)

Steve

Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer