joevan[_2_] joevan[_2_] is offline

Default NL - Friesland _ Prinsenhof _ tacking a skutsje - file 4 of 5 DSC_8043_bewerkt.jpg

On Sun, 11 May 2008 23:51:05 +0200, "Bouler"
wrote:

"HEMI - Powered" schreef in bericht
. ..
Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Maybe Bouler knows some more, it's his favorite ship if I'm
right... Regards,

Jeroen

"Leeboards" is the usual English term for the "sideboards"

You're right Bill.

I've heard of "sideboards" but not "leeboards", although the little I do
know of nautical terms makes that term also sensible.

The Dutch word is "zwaard" and my dictionary gives as translation
leeboards.
They are only used at the lee-side of the ship for not drifting away to much
if there is a lot of wind.
The put the leeboard as deep in the water as possible.
Search on "leeboard" on Google Jerry;-)

Here a small picture I found on the internet to see how ftlatbottoms can be
aground with now a problem at low tide.
I think this ship is a "Boeier", there are a lot of differend flatbottoms in
The Netherlands with all their specific names.
I by far dont know them all.

For a second there, I thought it was him, walking on water. )