HK HK is offline

Default Trailering a pontoon boat

Canuck57 wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
wrote in message
On Fri, 9 May 2008 06:18:28 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

Why are they called bass boats? What advantages do they offer serious
fisherman?
They also need to go 60 MPH!

Why? To get to the opposite shore when a shore fisherman there lands a big
one?

One of the lakes I most like fishing on is 38 miles long. If your cabin is
in the middle, that's 19 miles each way. Some of the best places to fish
are only 15' across 10 miles up, others 12 miles down the lake. I would
hate to use a pontoon boat on that lake.

Before I bought my first small boat in Jacksonville, Florida, I rented a
pontoon boat for a day of fishing on the St. Johns River. The boat was
fine for a couple of slackwater spots and in fact I enjoyed the
"platform" very much as I could cast lines almost anywhere I wanted and
then plunk down a boat chair for the retrieval or just to watch the bobber.

But the boat was lousy in the wind and even worse when a bit of a chop
built up. Very, very wet.

On Chesapeake Bay, where I mostly boat now, pontoon and tri-toon boats
are rare. I did see one last season about 10 miles up the Patuxent
River, and that's probably a good place for them...the river is wide
there, not that fast flowing, and usually relatively calm.