Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Miami to BVI

On 2008-05-08 19:03:21 -0400, jeff said:

Jere Lull wrote:
Sorry to directly disagree, but I been there, done that, and know both
areas intimately.

LI gets more storms and hurricanes than the BVI or any other single
"Caribbean" island group ("quotes" allow for including the Bahamas and
Bermuda, which aren't in the Caribbean.)

This seems very doubtful indeed if you're just counting hurricanes and
tropical storms. Lets look at the data:

Since 1851, New York has had 12 strikes from hurricanes, 6 cat 1, 1 cat
2, 5 cat 3, and nothing stronger.

http://www.stormfax.com/hurstate.htm

How about the Carribean:
For the same period, Virgin Gorda had 28 hurricanes, of which 4 of the
were cat 4, stronger than any that hit NY. The Bahamas faired worse,
with 40 hurricanes. In fact, most of the Carribean/Bahamas (and even
Bermuda) has more hurricanes than any place in the US Northeast.

That is why I carefully wrote "storms and hurricanes". Include spring
storms and nor'easters (sp?) with storm-strength or greater winds and
the complexion of the areas change.

But I did mis-edit. We've experienced only the one squall where several
neighbors reported their anemometers pegged at 110 for over an hour
that put 28 boats on the shore. That was September '04, I believe. Two
or three times a season, we get squalls of significance that startle
world-travellers, more in the 70+ knot range, and usually over more
quickly.

--
Jere Lull