Tom G Tom G is offline

Default Trailering a pontoon boat

wrote in message
I am thinking of making my next boat a pontoon boat in the 20 foot
range. I'd like to hear from people who own pontoons and especially
those who trailer them. Things that I'm thinking about is how hard to
load/unload, ease of towing, etc. Also, do you all fish with yours
using an electric trolling motor? One thing I'm wondering is how they
handle while using the trolling motor in the wind? Much difference
than a bass boat?

I have a 24' pontoon, usually docked in front of my place on the river. And
it usually stays at the dock as a fishing platform as I find it extremely
difficult to manuever by myself. Needs two men or a young agile man to
bring back to the dock and be able to get it to the dock and then jump off
to tie up in the current. I can't imagine anyone using a trolling motor
with one to fish. My neighbor has a tri-toon. He's much younger and has no
trouble docking but I never see him fish with it anywhere but tied to his
dock.
As for trailering...I have the between the pontoons type trailer and as far
as I'm concerned that is only safe for taking it from my house to the
landing in the Spring and Fall. And then it takes at least two people to
manuever the pontoon off and on in the current. The neighbor on the other
hand has the type trailer that moves the wheels out under the pontoons. He
pulls his pontoon boat all over the country behind his big motor home and
seems to have no problems. And I notice he's usually alone when he puts it
in or takes it out. The smaller boats like you're considering might be a
whole other story, however.

Tom G.