Mike[_6_] Mike[_6_] is offline

Default Great Air & Sea Show Pictures

I too miss the old airshows at Moffett. The ones they've had since the
de-commissioned the base were/are pretty lame. I also miss the P-3s
constantly buzzing around the Bay Area... I LOVE those planes.

--Mike

"Eddie" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 May 2008 19:56:35 -0400, DK
wrote:

There are some amazing photos here. The coast guard did a hell of a job
keeping a lane open for the jets!

http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1a/

Just plain Beautiful!

I like that shot of Fat Albert with the GG in the background. Never
seen a plane with all four engines feathered.
NAH, sure looks like it, eh?
You know, I've been to about 10 Blue Angels shows and I've never seen
'em fly low like the shots you got. You sure you didn't do a little
"generating?" Twenty feet over the water, hard to believe.
I once flew in a 7-passenger Cessna 15 feet over the Colorado River
inside the Grand Canyon (no longer allowed) and it scared the bejesus
out of me.
By the way, you know that the left-wing loonies always try to get
Fleet Week cancelled because of it's "militarism" theme.
The best shows were when they used to come to Moffett Field, imho.

I remember one 4th of July show at Moffett clearly. After the show
the pilots lined up, about 15 yards apart. I went up to one and asked
him to sign my program, which he gladly did. We chatted for a minute
or so. I asked him how long more were they going to fly the Skyhawk.
He told me that they were transitioning to the F/A-18 Hornet the next
year, iirc. The following week July 13, 1985, while performing
somewhere in the east coast, there was an accident in which one pilot
was killed. His name was Lt. Cmdr. Mike Gershon, the pilot I had
talked to at Moffett. I still have the autographed show program along
with a newspaper clipping about the accident. He was such a nice guy.
Eddie