Jeff Jeff is offline

Default trouble starting engine when solar panels are working

Owen Kellog wrote:
Looks like the solar controller sees to much of a current draw and shuts
down. This shutting down affects the whole system.

http://support.morningstarcorp.com/

Did you find a document there that says this could be a problem?

Put the solar on the house battery only, not the starter battery. Isolate
the house from the starter battery.

Clearly this is a more sophisticated setup but the OP says that the two
bats are switched together, so he actually has only bank. Also, he
implies that flipping a switch on the control allows it to start, so the
real issue here what could cause the problem, not how to work around it.

Since I use solar panels and controllers, and have considered upgrading
to the one mentioned, I'm quite curious about this. BTW, The controller
I use in the summer (I forget the name, but it has a nice volt/amp
display) flakes out in the winter (below 50 degrees) so I switch back to
an older basic Morningstar Sunsaver to keep the batteries charged while
the shrinkwrap is on.