Bouler Bouler is offline

Default NL - Friesland _ Prinsenhof _ tacking a skutsje - file 4 of 5 DSC_8043_bewerkt.jpg

"Bill" schreef in bericht

A skustje has a flat bottom with a very shallow draught (i think app. 30
centimeters (1 foot), which allows it to sail into even the shallowest
waters (either by sail, or drawn by horses or crew). Upwind performance
is
created by the side-blades (don't know what they are called in english).

I'm not sure about the bow configuration's purpose. Apparently it worked
quite well ass it has been in use for many centuries..

Maybe Bouler knows some more, it's his favorite ship if I'm right...
Regards,

Jeroen

"Leeboards" is the usual English term for the "sideboards"

You're right Bill.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)