William R. Watt

Default steam bending plywood

William R. Watt ) writes:

I was barely able to get a 2" camber in a 2.5' arched transom by steam
heating lauan underlayment. There's photos of the completed boat,
Dogskiff, on the website. It's not a power boat so its much lighter
construction than your 15' skiff with a 3/4" bottom.

I just remembered that transom is two layers of 1/5" lauan underlayment
laminated with plastic resin glue. Of course that's the same as bending
one layer of 1'5" underlayment. If you look closely at some of the photos
you might be able to see the crease in each layer of lauan underlayment
because it was a bit more than it wanted to bend. The creases don't line
up and the transom is fine but some people are fussy about appearances and
would complain about the creases.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm