BeeRich BeeRich is offline

Default Miami to BVI

On May 5, 3:03*pm, Geoff Schultz wrote:
BeeRich wrote :

On May 5, 12:39*pm, Geoff Schultz wrote:

After I responsed, I realized that I should have asked an obvious (at
least
to me) question. *Are you planning on doing this soon? *Most people
are
thinking about getting their boats out of the hurricane box by this
time of
the season. *You're talking about heading into it. *Where are you
going to leave it for hurricane season?

Hi there. *We are thinking of going down sometime between August and
October.

As several other people have commented, you're nuts if you want to leave
from FL and go to the BVIs at that time of the year. *You're dead center in
the middle of hurricane season. *What would happen of you got caught in
one? *Where you would go? *Are you prepared to lose your boat and/or life?

Most people are departing those waters for safer locations. *If you said
that you were thinking of leaving at the end of October, then I'd say that
it's a reasonable trip. *However, Aug-Oct is crazy.

I know several people who have made this trip in sailboats, and while it
isn't fun, it's doable. *The Van Sant book that I mentioned earier is a
very good guide.

-- Geoffwww.GeoffSchultz.org

It's the only time that is convenient, so that's the time that I am
considering. I haven't made my mind up yet, as that's why I'm asking
in here. The very indication that there is a book on this, means that
it's something that's been done, and people are interested in doing
it.

And no, I don't plan on just walking out into a hurricane. And yes,
I've been through hurricanes. But to say that all of the Caribbean
and Florida is nothing but hurricanes that time of year, is just not
true. So what about the people that you indicate are departing those
waters? They must get caught in hurricanes. I guess they're all dead
then? Of course not.

Part of this thread is about finding a time for such a route. If it
means waiting, then so be it. I look forward to finding that book, if
I decide to do this.

Cheers