William R. Watt

Default steam bending plywood

I don't understand how there can be a 4" radius on a transom only 22" wide.
Could you mean 4" camber? Given the width of the transom and the camber of
the arc you can calcuate the radius of a circular arc. If you look under
"Boats" on my website you'll find a file of various formulae having do to
with circular arcs for boatbuilding, also a BASIC program which calcualtes
radius and points to plot on a circular arc for, say deck beams or cabin
sides. You'll also find a file on dry bending plywood. Sorry, nothing on
steam bending plywood.

I was barely able to get a 2" camber in a 2.5' arched transom by steam
heating lauan underlayment. There's photos of the completed boat,
Dogskiff, on the website. It's not a power boat so its much lighter
construction than your 15' skiff with a 3/4" bottom.

There might be another confusing word below. The angle where things are
attached to a hull is usually called "bevel" as in stem, frame, and
transom bevels. The word "scarf" is used to describe the joining of two
pieces of wood. The angle of the scarf is it's bevel.

Kevin ) writes:
I am building a 15" skiff... stitch and glue style. 3/4 merainti
bottom, 9mm okoume sides. I want to do a rounded or fantail transom. I
have scarfed the sides where I am going to attach the transom, and
will scarf the pieces to be bent prior to bending. The bent pieces
will be part of a conic section with a 4" bottom radius and a 12" to
radius. If I remember correctly the my template for the pieces to be
bent is 22" tall and 26" wide at the widest point. The exterior of the
sides are alread coated with 6 oz triaxle glass and the interior with
3 coats of epoxy. I will glues the scarf joint and then glass the
exterior and epoxy the interior of the fantail.

Thanks,
Kevin

Nope, I don't think the 5mm would go either. The three layers of three
MM might go. As far as the other types of wood you mentioned, why
don't you tell us what you are building and what it will be used for,
we might be able to provide more info.
Scotty

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm