Mark Davis

Default New Deck

Hi all,

I appreciate the help on the answers for encapsulating my new deck, the
cabin floor is done and I am working on the back deck area.

I do have one more question though ( for now ). The current supports for
the deck are all side mounted to the stringers (most are just screwed into
the stringers and not bolted through etc). I am replacing them all but had
a different idea I wanted some feedback on.

As is:
Verticle deck supports 1x2's untreated are screwed into hull stringers
and then again screwed into the deck stringers above which were 1x4's 1/2
inch untreated rotted wood.

My idea:
Verticle deck stringers as 4"x4"s pressure treated and cut out to fit
over the hull stringers then bolted through. I wouldn't set the 4x4's
directly on top of the stringers yet put a small foam pad there and leave
like and 1/8 inch. My thought was that would avoid a hard support but also
provide a better mounting system.

Ideas? Is it overkill? bad idea? I want to get this done before the end of
the weekend, but also want to do it right.

Thanks in advance!
Mark.