JimC JimC is offline

Default I decided

wrote:

JimC wrote:

1) A boat that is not essentially limited to being sailed in the
immediate area. - The Mac26M can be quickly and easily transported by
the owner (with a pickup or SUV) in one weekend to waters hundreds of
miles from it's berth or storage area.

So can many many many other small ~ medium sized sailboats. My
sailboat data base has about 1600 trailerable boats (and this is
probably less than half of all the different types that have been
produced in the U.S. & Canada).

And the Macs are by far the most popular of boats (trailerable or
untrailerable) of this size. And they have been so for many years. -
Wonder why this is, Doug? Misleading marketing?

2) A boat that doesn't have to be berthed in a marina.

Isn't this kinda the same as #1?

Nope. The ability to conveniently and quickly transport the boat to
sailing areas located substantial distances from your home dock, and the
ability to store the boat out of the water if desired, are distinctly
different advantages. One has to do with the choice of sailing
environments, and the other relates to the option of storing the boat
in the water or out of it.

3) A coastal cruiser that can be sailed in a variety of waters,

Isn't this kinda the same as #1, again?

Not really. Some boats of this size have fixed keels and are not
suitable for trailering, or for shallow or irregular bottom waters.
Most trailerable boats are of limited size and capacity, and aren't
really suitable for anything but lake sailing.

including offshore, with the understanding that it isn't recommended for
extended ocean crossings and isn't as comfortable in heavy weather.

Ha ha ha... you mean, if you bring lots of duct tape you might return
with most of what you started with?

This issue has been discussed ad nauseum, and I don't want to get into
it again. However, as stated by Roger: "There are thousands of these
boats out there, and many have been caught in, and survived, some really
extreme weather conditions, on both lakes and oceans. Like most small
cruising sailboats, the 26 can handle high winds and nasty seas, but
risk and discomfort levels increase dramatically in severe weather."
Note that he was speaking about the old 26X, not the current 26M. -
Though not a blue water boat, the Mac is definitely a coastal cruiser

Frankly, having seen Mac 26Xs & Ms sailing in relatively sheltered
waters in 15 knot winds & 2 ~ 3 feet of chop... and having trouble
coping with these conditions when not actually suffering breakdowns...
I can't imagine sailing one "offshore in heavy weather" for more than
about 15 minutes.

It's true that some Mac skippers are new and inexperienced. My boat has
roller furling and three reefing points on the main, and I haven't
experienced the troubles you're talking about. And, of course, there are
many Mac sailors with more experience than me.

4} A boat that incorporates a number of safety features, including
positive floatation

Again, a common feature shared by many other boats.

Corrections. - Shared by many small boats but relatively few larger
boats. For example, relatively few of the boats discussed on this ng.
have it.

.... The boat is also designed to accommodate a large outboard
which gives the skipper more options in the event of heavy weather,
e.g., for returning to port quickly.

Again, ha ha ha. For one thing, the speed of the Mac26X~M is very much
exaggerated. It certainly won't outrun any storms at 15 knots or
less; and the hull shape & stability is such that it will be very
problematic to handle it at any speed in really rough weather.

It's two or three times faster under power than most of the boats
discussed on this ng. And despite your "ha ha ha"s, having the OPTION to
motor in a plane is a valuable capability, useful in many circumstances.

7) A boat that is priced substantially lower than conventional larger
boats

Or conventional boats of similar accomodation... and there you have it
in a nutshell. The Mac26X~M is a portable cheap hotel room. Not that
there's anything wrong with that.

Again, you seem to think that if you throw in enough sarcasm and "ha ha
ha"s, are proving your point. - NOT.

9) A boat that can have a 5.5 feet draft for sailing (with dagger-board
down) but that can be converted to one with only 1.5-ft draft in
shallow waters

Again, a feature shared by many many many other boats.

Again, a feature shared by some, but relatively few of the boats
discussed on this ng. A feature not shared by many boats of its size.
AND DON'T TELL ME THAT THERE AREN'T OTHER BOATS THAT HAVE THIS FEATURE,
because I didn't say that there weren't. I'm simply pointing out that
the combination of features provided in the Mac26M is quite extensive.

10) A sailboat that, unlike 90 percent of the boats discussed on this
ng, isn't limited to hull speed.

Isn't this a repeat of something from #4 above?

It's worth repeating.

12) Finally, I see a boat that is FUN TO SAIL!

A matter of taste. If the "magic of sail" to you means having big
white pieces of cloth flopping around from a pole while you lurch
aimlessly across the water, yeah that'll do it.

Actually, my sails don't "flop around", and I don't "lurch aimlessly
across the water.

Try sailing a Laser or an Albacore or a 505 or an Etchells or a Nacra
or a Melges 24 or any of hundreds of actual high performance sailing
craft... you don't even have to get stressed out and try one of the
double-trap skiffs... boats that will equal or exceed the wind
velocity and plane readily UNDER SAIL.

Frankly, for anybody with any experience on sailing craft of any real
performance level, the "magic" of sailing a Mac26X~M is a big yawn.
But it's all a matter of taste. You clearly like your boat, what's
funny is the level of delusion you have to maintain.

What you haven't acknowledged, of course, is that although other boats
have some of the same features, the COMBINATION of capabilities and
features available on the Mac 26m is rather unique and is one reason
that the 26s have, over the years, been one of the most popular
sailboat series. Obviously, some boats are more responsive than the Mac
and can plane under sail, but most of them don't have anywhere near the
accommodations, comfort, and cabin size available with a Mac 26M. Also,
there are obviously many larger, heavier, more comfortable boats. -
However, most of them (not all) don't have the various advantages
(responsiveness, ability to sail or motor in shallow waters, ability to
motor at two to three times hull speed, trailerability. etc., available
on the Mac. Of course, the current Mac models benefit from experience
gained over many years of development, and feedback from thousands of
owners.

Please keep in mind that I have been sailing for over 40 years, with
experience on a number of large and smaller boats with a variety of
designs and characteristics. More recently, I also have some five years
of experience sailing the Mac 26M. Not saying that I'm an old salt, or
that I have sailed in competition on an Albacore or Laser. (I'm not
really interested in racing, more into cruising.) On the other hand, I
do have experience with and knowledge of a number of boats, most of
which were larger than the Mac. By contrast, I don't think you have a
lot of experience, if any, sailing the (current) Mac 26M. - Which is,
after all, the subject of this particular discussion. - I find that the
Mac 26M is a sweet compromise between larger, heavier boats and lighter
boats, with some of the advantages of each.

Again, when the wind hit the sails, it's magic!

Jim