Glenn Ashmore

Default steam bending plywood

Probably worse. The thickness to radius ratio is even lower than 9mm to
8". Okoume is not the best steam bending wood in the world and 5 mm
BS1088 has 5 plys which makes it stiffer. 3mm is only 3 ply which makes
it a good bit more flexable but I am not even sure 3 mm will bend to 4".

When I need to bend under about a 4" radius for fiddle rails and cabinet
edges I steam up some 1/6" veneers and laminate them up from scratch.

When you are getting that tight it is also necessary to use steel
strapping or a well fit caul to keep the outer fibers from splitting.

Kevin wrote:
Ok next question...

how about steam bending 5 mm okoume to a 4 inch radius?

I am debating wether to purchase the 3 mm ply and do three layers as
mentioned in the previous post or to try to bend the 5mm and use two
laminations.

Or should I just look at using "wacky wood" or "flexy ply"?

How strong are the flexible plys if used in a stitch and glue
situation with the outside glassed and epoxied and the inside epoxied?

Thanks,
Kevin

--
Glenn Ashmore