JimC JimC is offline

Default I decided

wrote:

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:55:55 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

What do I see? Among other things, I see the following:

Step 1) Open eyes.

1) A boat that is not essentially limited to being sailed in the immediate
area. - The Mac26M can be quickly and easily transported by the owner
(with a pickup or SUV) in one weekend to waters hundreds of miles from
it's berth or storage area, thereby making available hundreds of sailing
areas that wouldn't be conveniently available with a larger, keeled
vessel. (Without having it hauled out of the water and hiring a truck to
transport the boat to a distant sailing area.) - Practically speaking,
most large, conventional keeled boats are limited to sailing within a day
or so of their marinas unless the owners are retired or want to spend
several weeks of vacation. (Of course, you can always point to
exceptions, but they ARE the exceptions, not the usual practice for most
owners, most of the time.)

Are you claiming that my boat can't be sailing in areas other than where
she's berthed???

I prefer to actually sail to places not put my boat on truck.

2) A boat that doesn't have to be berthed in a marina. Thus, the storage
fees are substantially less than most marina fees, and ongoing lease and
maintenance fees can be substantially reduced. Or, if desired, I can (and
do) choose to keep it in a Marina, at a relatively modest fee because of
its size and limited draft.

Ongoing lease? Wow...stunning news. A 26' boat is less expensive to berth
than a 30.

More and more Marinas are charging by slip size, rather than boat size
and a 26 foot boat would cost the same or more than a 30 foot boat.
More? Yes more. If the only available slips left are 40 footers, and
the 30 foot boat is in a 30 or 35 foot slip, the Mac will be paying
for a 40 foot slip.

I pay substantially less for my slip than the charges for other slips in
our Marina because of the fact that I get a "shallow draft" discount.
Also because of the relatively limited size.

3) A coastal cruiser that can be sailed in a variety of waters, including
offshore, with the understanding that it isn't recommended for extended
ocean crossings and isn't as comfortable in heavy weather. The boat has
plenty of ballast and plenty of righting forces. Also, it's suitable for
sailing and/or motoring in shallow or restricted waters that aren't
available to large, fixed keel vessels.

It might be a coastal cruiser a couple of months a year, but I assure you
it's not a coastal cruiser out here 95% of the time, unless you count
foundering on rocks as coastal cruising.

4} A boat that incorporates a number of safety features, including
positive floatation that will keep the boat afloat even if the hull is
compromised. The boat is also designed to accommodate a large outboard
which gives the skipper more options in the event of heavy weather, e.g.,
for returning to port quickly.

The large outboard negates a lot of that flotation you are counting on
so heavily. What happens to this stern heavy boat when it gets pooped?
My guess is that it sinks ass-end first

The design of the boat and the placement of the floatation is made with
the understanding that the owner will have installed a 50-60 hp. motor
and that their will be a skipper and guests onboard. The weight of the
motor (mine is around 220 lbs.) is a minor factor relative to other
factors, despite the fact that it is, of course, near the stern of the boat.

I bet you have PFDs too! Yeah, a large outboard to get you out of trouble
when either the skipper fails or the boat is about to fail.

5) A boat that, despite its relatively modest size, has substantial cabin
space and berths for five people, including a queen-size aft berth.

Stuff em in... I bet you can.

6) A boat that is small and light enough to permit easy handling and
docking by one person.

Compared to what? My Sabre is 30' and 8000 lbs. I have no problem sailing
and docking in fairly rigorous conditions. I've seen Mac sailors trying to
dock, and they did so quite nicely... coming in like freight and jamming it
in reverse at the last second. I've also seen them "sailing" on the bay in
20+ kts... sails a flappin, boat heeled, people looking very scared, and
finally, the skipper gets the engine going just to get it under control.

7) A boat that is priced substantially lower than conventional larger
boats (comparing new prices with new prices and used prices with used
prices, of course). This permits getting a fully equipped vessel (with
accessories such as autopilot, chart reader, roller reefing, 50-hp motor,
lines led aft, radio, stereo, etc., etc.), still within an affordable
total cost.

Well, you got me there... cheap compared to used boats of higher quality.

8) A boat that can be sailed or motored with or without the ballast, and
that can be trailord without the ballast, making it a substantially
lighter load when trailoring.

Expressly NOT SAFE according the manufacturer, who even recommends
removing the mast anfd keeping everybody low in the cockpit as well as
always having the ballast tank full when motoring at anything above
steerage speeds.

Of course, you're responding to something I didn't say. I stated that
the boat could be sailed or motored with or without the ballast. - I
didn't say it should be motored at high speeds without the ballast.
Although we are warned about sailing without ballast, in moderate
conditions it is done routinely by experienced Mac owners. Lastly, I
don't know of any instructions from McGregor that the mast has to be
removed of motoring at anything above steerage speeds, with ballast full.

Jim