Backyard Renegade

Default waterproof shaft seal?

(MBS) wrote in message . com...
Thanks for the tips. I should have provided more detail but it will
basically be a fractional horse low depth propulsion (similar to a
trolling motor only much smaller). In taking a trolling motor apart,
the water seal looks like nothing but an "O" ring or grommet next to
the bushing. How complicated can that be? Surely there has to be
something available to accomplish this.

Try going to an automobile transmissions shop. They have seals and
O-rings and such and have used them plenty. May be they can help you
come up with a practiacl solution. I was thinking a tapered shaft that
seats itself into an oring or a series of orings. If you could cool
it, you might be able to use a teflon block to bear against. Another
possibility would be to have the shaft exit the motor housing from the
bottom. If you knew the vehicle would be upright at all times, you
could use a tube around the shaft to keep an air bubble inside the
housing. I would still use seals, but they might not need to be so
tight, more just to keep splashes from gettin in underneath the unit.
Anyway, good luck and don't let em' tell you it can't be done. Scotty