Brian Whatcott

Default waterproof shaft seal?

On 14 Nov 2003 08:46:58 -0800, (MBS) wrote:

I am trying to waterproof a small electric motor (submerged) so that
shaft will be sticking out of waterproof enclosure. Can anyone point
me to a source of water sealed bushings or bearings for this sort of
application? I have been looking all over the net and can't seem to
come up with ideas or supplies to do this. The shaft size will be =
1/4"

Thanks!
Bailey--

I passed your request several times - this is not a topic for
beginners to lightly undertake - but what the hell.
Go to a bearing distributors (look in the phone book)
Ask what shaft seals they have in 1/4 inch.
Pick a likely candidate, and find some tube that will fit the outer
diameter of the seal.
Place three in series in the housing, and fix the housing on the motor
in some waterproof way. This will put you in with a chance.

Brian W Altus OK
p.s. The seals go with the lip facing *outwards*