Bill Kiene

Default Whaler tips

Halan,

The standard or traditional 15' Boston Whaler is rated for 70hp. Most put on
the Evinrude 70hp that weighs ~254#. I think they made tons of 13' and 17'
models but not that many 15'. I would install a new 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke
that weighs ~245# if you find a clean hull and want a new motor. The trouble
with all use boats with sizeable outboards is that if you are going to
change to a 2 stroke, the boat, motor and trailer has to be real cheap or it
is too expensive. A 60hp Yamaha is ~$6,000.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Harlan Lachman" wrote in message
. net...
As a long time sailor, my first powerboat was a Boston Whaler 13.
Although I was too old and the pounding hurt my back (and especially my
older wife's back), I found it a really safe, easy to use craft that
inspired confidence and was great for water skiing, moving around, and
fishing. It disappeared when my older son went off to college after
shoing no interest in the boat.

My younger son will eventually get his first boat, hates sailing, loves
powerboating and I am thinking of a 15' Whaler. A bunch of questions:

How large an engine is big enough to take friends (even large ones)
water skiing or wakeboarding but not too powerful to over power the
boat or encourage needless speeding?

Is a four stroke too heavy for this boat (hp versus weight)?

How much should I expect to pay for a used one in good condition?

TIA,

Harlan

--
Tro respond, obviously drop the nospam!