Backyard Renegade

Default trucking

"The new guy" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
It seems to me like none of you guys is happy with the boat building deal...
You see, my horoscope says that I would be good in boat building, like I
would excel in that...
mmm

Once you do it, you will do it for the rest of your life. Like
Brian... I don't have the heart to tell him he won't get to use his
new boat as he will be too busy planning and building his next boat!
Just don't expect to make a living on it. Since you seem to be
following your origional post it seems that you are serious in your
quest. so I will rant on.

Find a couple of hours a week, that's all it takes. Spend a couple of
hundred bucks and build a small boat for yourself and family. See if
you like building boats and then move on from there. The hardest part
about building your first boat is just getting started. Know this,
(and to any of you lurkers too). With the technology, materials, and
detailed plans available today, anyone who has ever used simple hand
tools can build a boat. Last season I guided a 17 yo girl and her dad
through a successful first build. I stopped by one day late in the
build to check up on them as most of the first help had been on the
phone and through email. I walked into the shop and found them using a
ball peen hammer, a handsaw, and a 9.6 volt rechargeable drill.. they
did not even have a claw hammer as her dad was a deisel mechanic and
those were the tools they had on hand. Understand that especially with
the calibrated pumps, epoxy is easier to use than ever, almost fool
proof. Woodworking skills are beneficial but not totally necessary.
Epoxy is real forgiving, however reasonable care and patience is still
the order of the day.

I keep the Nike theroy above the workbench in my shop. It simply says,
"Just do it". The theroy goes like this... If you have something
difficult to do, (such as start a boat) and you know it will take two
hours, you can sit around for two hours thinking of a better way to do
it, but in the long run to do it right, you will have spend 4 hours on
a 2 hour job. So follow your gut, it knows what's right, don't sit
around thinking about it, just do it.
Scotty's rant, The Backyard Renegade
SmallBoats.com