boatdreams

Default What's a good computer drafting program?

Jim,
Great hull graphic! But out of curiosity...
Generating points for Fintry's hull design in Excel, did you start with
calculations for the transversals? And if so, what family of curves
would evolve so smoothly from the forward V to the mid and aft U
sections? It kind of looks like you morphed a tangent into a secant.
But how do you do that in calcs? Or did you start with the
longitudinals and then somehow connect the dots for the frames?
I'm playing with an Excel development of a one-off hull design and have
a pretty good layout using all secant frames, but a tangent in the bow
would give me just the right entry...if only I could figure out the
transition.
boat_dreams

Jim Woodward wrote:
If you're going to use CAD (or any complex computer program), you have to
... Here's Fintry, done this way:
http://www.mvfintry.com/pix/bowqtr800.png