Faan Hates Spam Faan Hates Spam is offline

Default nets on man o war decks

The TV Show Mythbusters did a show trying to replicate flying splinters from
shooting canonnballs into a mockup of a side of a ship, the end result was
inconclusive as they couldnt get the splinters to fly with enough force to kill
someone, in their case "Buster" Although its well documented in Admiralty records
that many died from splinter wounds, they could not make a case. Bit of worthless
info added to this thread

Splinters -- often feet long -- were the biggest cause of casualties
among the crews of wooden warships. Cannonballs would smash the timber
sides and big splinters would fly around like shrapnel.

At least so I have read. I have no direct experience with battle in a
wooden sailing ship. ;-)

--
Bill Collins
For email, change "fake" to "earthlink"

Attached Thumbnails
nets on man o war decks-a2-hms-warrior-portsmouth-uk-gun-deck-060602-24.jpg  nets on man o war decks-a1.jpg  nets on man o war decks-a3.jpg