posted to rec.boats.building
patrick[_2_] patrick[_2_] is offline

Default sealing plywood end grain?

Hi Guys; Yes, I did do the seams with glass. Matter of fact , the
hull had a layer of glass/epoxy, over a brushed on epoxy layer...I had
good luck with the paddle which was made the same way by laying a ply
with wax paper along the backside of the blade, then trowelled a bunch
of milled glass/epoxy to the edge, then sanded to shape. That has held
up famously . I wish I could same the same of the hatches that are of
lauan doorskin bent to shape over wood formers. They seem to have
occasional damage along the edges that allowed the water to wick
through the end grain and doing the damage. Am considering grinding to
a knife edge, then clamping the waxed ply backing to conform to the
edge, then doing the same epoxy/milled glass along the edge to toughen
and seal the edge concurrently. Yep, I'm on the cheap side. I thought
the the first couple boats I'd build were going to be trial horses
anyway so don't invest the bucks. Considering the lack of care I've
shown the oats, I'm considering building another using the same
(cheap) methods. Pat