posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Political Crap OT

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:28:52 -0500, Frank Boettcher

said:

It was not time of fairness. If you were poor, could not afford to
continue education past high school, had no influence, could not trick
the system by taking drugs to fail the physical, you were drafted or
you joined, or you fled the country, plain and simple. Then the
lottery, then the elimination of the draft.

Certainly not news to me. I got out of school at the height of the war.
Called up my draft board and was told that unless I volunteered I would be
drafted. I told them I would sign up for OCS, and they said they'd put my
folder at the back of the drawer, and I should let them know when I had
been
sworn in. Dunno how it was in Hope, AK, but where I came from people were
expected to honor their word, and I did. Clinton didn't.

Neither did Bush. I know you hate the Clintons, but the reality is that Bush
didn't finish what he signed up for wrt to his service commitment.
Unfortunately, he learned that lesson a bit late and now we have Iraq.

My comments on the "winding down" of the war are as I observed them.
Many combat pilots were coming back and the slots in guard units were
coveted, and they deserved them. If you didn't want to stay in, no
one was going to chain you to the post.

Yes. When I got out everyone was getting early outs by a few months. I
called up the local reserve unit, and they said come if you want to, but
no
big deal if you don't want to.

Bush did "get an early out." He just stopped showing up... and remains a
chickenhawk.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com