posted to rec.boats.building
bellsouthnews bellsouthnews is offline

Default sealing plywood end grain?

Here's what "I" would do... I'd clean up the delam with my orbital sander
and round off the edges a bit (glass doesn't like sharp edges). I'd then
apply epoxy to the ends and let it set. Then, I'd sand it to rough it up and
then wrap the ends with fiberglass 'tape'. Doesn't have to be fancy. The
'bondo' CLOTH (not mat) from wal-mart will work fine. Cut it into strips
(It's actually one of my favorite glasses because it wets well and is very
strong.) Cut it into strips and wrap your delam areas. Then, after that
sets, build up the epoxy a bit on those areas with another coat or two so
it's good and sealed.

The strength of the glass should prevent minor dings and it will help keep
the area sealed. If you're trying to keep costs down, you can use the
'bondo' polyester resin that they also sell at wal-mart. I'm not sure about
it's UV resistance and from what I've heard, it's not good for structure
because it has a tendency to 'creep', but for sealing your end grain, it
should work just fine. (I'm sure I'll catch flak for that bit of advice, but
if you're wanting to do it on the cheap and you're not concerned about
appearance, that's the route I'd go.) Make sure you rough up the areas
you're gluing to so it holds. You can't get a chemical bond so you're going
to have to rely on a physical bond. Oh, and I agree with the other fellas.
I wouldn't try to thin the epoxy. I tried it once and it just came out bad.
If you want the epoxy thinner, warm it up. I use a heat lamp about 12" from
my epoxy jug. But if you heat it, be sure to use small batches because it'll
set up quicker.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Ron