posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Political Crap OT

I've never understood this. What influence did he have? He was a great
student but he was a nobody from a broken home and a poor family.

Frank Boettcher wrote:
It is my understanding that he had an obligation based on an ROTC
scholarship and an individual holding a General rank in the Arkansas
guard intervened on his behalf to postpone his service until he
completed his Rhodes tour based on his promise to serve at the
conclusion of same. This is from memory, not from the time but later
on.

Well, sure... at the time, who had ever heard of Bill Clinton?

It sounds more plausible than other stuff I've heard him accused of.
It's possible that he offered to serve on return and as you said
earlier, they were de-mobilizing and didn't want him. It would be more
in character for him to have conveniently "forgotten," though.

You are welcome to research and prove me wrong, it won't be the
first time.

As you may have guessed, the Clintons are not my favorite people. But
there is certainly a large industrial base of Clinton bashing (so much
that it's being outsourced these days) and a lot of it is pure hokum.
I have no idea where to research anything like this anyway....
probably could find many sources both verifying & disproving it.

My favorite Clintonism is when he declared that he "knew more about
farming than any previous U.S. President." I mean, c'mon Bill, most of
the Founding Fathers *were* farmers themselves! And falling asleep
during Reagan's funeral was a classy move too.

DSK