Peter Ward

Default Seaworthiness

"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message ...

Yacht design and especially boat building materials have progressed since
the designs you list. They may have been the best 100+ years ago but it's
like saying that the Ford model T is the best car ever built!

Point taken; however, I can't help but note that modern mathematicians
are coming round to the view that the archaic 'oceanic lateen' sail
design - developed by ancient Polynesians over 4,000 years ago - is
actually more 'efficient' than the modern Bermudan. I would have
thought it quite possible that the 'ye olde worlde' designers may well
have hit upon the 'Platonic Ideal' of ultimate seaworthy hull design
via the school of very hard knocks & near-death epiphanies.

Try some books like "Seaworthiness" by Marchaj or check books by Dave Gerr.
It is undeniable that the boats who rcae aorund the world today are more
seaworth than a Colin Archer.

I'm sure you're correct - but are they "more seaworthy" because of
superior design or superior construction or a mix of both?

I personally prefer this definition of seaworthy:

"define "seaworthiness"

I thought it meant a boat that would take care of itself in rough
conditions, not a boat that could perhaps outrace the weather."

[rom: William R. Watt )
Subject: Seaworthiness
Newsgroups: rec.boats.building
Date: 2003-11-10 13:50:05 PST ]

Someone in an earlier post mentioned that the Westsail 32 is proven
seaworthy by virtue of having actually survived 'The Perfect Storm'
without human intervention ...so I do a quick google search & lo &
behold up comes something which could be quite easily be mistaken for
a Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter in a dark seaway & has a blue-blood
Colin Archer pedigree to boot!!:

http://www.boatus.com/jackhornor/sail/Westsail32.htm

PS: a judgement about seaworthiness should not be based on fear of the sea
. . .

A very prescient observation. I don't mind admitting that I do in
fact have a healthy fear of the sea ...& it is in fact the primary
motivating factor in my quest for the *_most seaworthy_* design &
construction available for a vessel under 35'.

One of my formative late-life experiences was being caught on what the
locals call a "crook crossing" of Bass Strait (Devonport Tas. to
Melbourne Vic.) some years ago. I was on exactly the same type of
ferry that foundered in the Baltic whilst crossing from Estonia to
Sweden in 1994; it was a massive vessel of many thousands of tons
displacement but literally being bounced & wracked like a balsa model
in what looked very much like a watery version of Dante's Inferno. The
only shared religious experience I've had in my entire life in fact.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Peter Ward" wrote in message
m...
From random reading I've formed the impression that the Bristol
Channel Pilot Cutter is the epitome of a seaworthy design. Colin
Archer designs seem to get the big tick also.