William R. Watt

Default plywood

Gone Angling ) writes:
I have a few other questions. I'm building a simple boat (cajun flat bottom 10
feet) as a starter project.
The points of the bottom are plotted on a piece of plywood. What would i use to
make a smooth curve?

plastic electrical conduit is good. comes in 10 ft lengths at "Home Depot
type stores". cheap and no need to rip a thin piece of wood which probably
won't come out even anyway.

Do you use a hand held jig saw to cut it out?

yes but a jig saw wobbles more than a circular saw. I use a jig saw for
cutting tight curves and small pieces.

I want to put a fancy deck on it. Would a hardwood veneer plywood be ok? I'm
not sure if it is rated for exterior use. Other material to use?

decorative wall panels are not waterproof. I'd only use it above the
waterline on a boat kept under cover when not in use.

1/4 inch ply is that equivalent to 6mm. Is 5.2 mm luan too thin for sides and
deck.

5.22 mm lauan is 1/5 inch.

Can i join plywood by a butt joint and a 1x 2 across the joint on the interior.

two separate things. 1x2 is a framing. you can fasten panels so they end on
a frame. a 4" wide piece of the same plywood is a good butt. fasten with glue
and "clinched" (bent over and back in) little nails.

people often butt join plywood with fibreglass tape soaked in resin. most
people recommend epoxy resin but I've used cheaper polyester.

All my materials are to be bought from a home depot type store.

builders of small cheap boats use polyurethane cosntruction adhesive in a
tube available from these types of stores. Bulldog PL Premium is the one
most often mentioned. I use it.

there are photos of my cheap plywood boats on my website (see below). its
common for amateurs to build this way for themselves, not expecting a boat
they can pass on to their grandchildren's grandchildren. Of my boats the
Dogskiff and Loonie are lauan underlayment. The Delta is virola
underlayment. I left the virola boat outside last winter and the plys were
comming apart at the edge. Had to cut some off one end. I brought it in
this winter. Otherwise the virola boat stays outside. I don't expect it to
last long. The lauan boats are kept inside. (They hang on pegs on the
garage wall.) They are holding up very well. The Dogskiff has been used 4
summers now and is in great shape. TF Jones had a lauan underlayment kayak
9 years, kept inside when not in use, and it was still in fine shape when
he cut it up because he got tired of it and wanted to make a different
boat. No great loss.

good luck

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm