Dennis Pogson Dennis Pogson is offline

Default Floating dock on exposed water

Garland Gray II wrote:
This is something that I toyed with in the past, so I may have asked a
similar question in the past.

I want to build a floating dock about 7 feet by 14 feet and locate it
beside a seawall fronting a body of water with a fetch of up to eight
miles. It frequently gets quite rough, which the bulkhead makes
worse. I am concerned with how well it would handle this kind of
environment, so I was hoping to hear from someone who might have done
this sort of thing.

One thought is to give the raft a lot of mass by way of water ballast
(free flooding barrels with empty plastic jugs inside), but maybe
light weight would be better.

The objective is to provide a means for my wife to board her rowing
shell (when calm, of course), so thanks for any insight some of you
might provide.

Old tyres lashed together make an excellent basis for such a dock. They
float, and can stand most wave impact. You will need quite a lot, but they
are usually free from some sources.

Dennis.