Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Do old, retired cruisers have any valid input???

"Herodotus" wrote in message
On 21 Apr 2008 11:49:01 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 02:58:52 +1000, Herodotus
said:

The only word I object to is the Americanism "dude" which is creeping
into Antipodean language and used by those who wish to be seen as hip.
I cannot but object verbally or walk out of a shop when I am addressed
as such.

Have you so far avoided the "like" epidemic-- "I'm like ..... and she's
like.... I'm like....""

I'm often tempted to ask one of those under 30's whether she can complete
single sentence without using the word "like."

Yes!!!! the bloody term is widespread in Australia these days. It can
be used many times within the same sentence and is often preceded with
"you know" and used as a sentence ending as well. "You know, like...."

Hate it. It grates. shows mu age and growing intolerance

cheers
Peter

"You know, like ... you know."

I heard that once... very short sentence, so I said, "No, I don't know. Like
what?" And, he couldn't explain. So, I said, "then don't say 'you know'
unless I do know."

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com