William R. Watt

Default Seaworthiness

define "seaworthiness"

I thought it meant a boat that would take care of itself in rough
conditions, not a boat that could perhaps outrace the weather. This
outracing the weather is only helpfull along the coast where, given
advance warning of deteriorating weather conditions over the radio, the
faster boat can run for cover. Its not much help mid ocean in a big
weather system.

The main indicator of seaworthiness is the displacement to length ratio.
Boats with a ratio over (I think) 300 are the most seaworthy. These are
ocean going cruisers. Because boats are sold by the pound they are
expensive. I know lighter materials can cost more per pound by they don't
have as many pounds. The heavy cruisers also have more room for
accomdation and storage and a better comfort factor. They can make good
time under all conditions but light winds.

There are books on cruising sailboats as distinct from racing and coastal
sailboats. One that I read recently is Danny Greene's "Cruising Sailboat
Kinetics" (1984).

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm