Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

"Roger Long" wrote in message
A mooring field is an area where the moorings are so closely spaced, often
in a regular pattern, that anchoring between them would be impractical.
Often, they are so close that just navigating through the area is difficult
and channels are often left for the purpose. Usually, a mooring field is
overseen and mooring locations managed by someone like me. There are
"unofficial" mooring fields where coves or harbors have simply filled up
with moorings.

Working definition: If you can find a place to set a hook in amongst the
moorings, it is not a mooring field. If you say, "Dang, we'll have to
jill around while we send someone ashore in the dinghy for ice and beer
and then go anchor around the point", it's a mooring field.

--
Roger Long

I good example is what they have off Catalina... lots and lots of boats tied
up in a relatively small space. We have similiar at Angel Island. The
wind/currents are such there that everyone ties bow to one and stern to
another, so no one swings into another boat. This works great for large
raft-ups that happen at various times... 10+ boats in a raft up.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com