Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:20:24 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:45:03 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Few if any of you
reading this anchor in the few "Special Ancorages" that are available as
most of them are very exposed to wind and sea and generally exist for the
sake of large shipping interests waiting to come into port.

Bull kwap nonsense, most of them are mooring fields.

What in God's world is a "mooring field?" I know what a mooring is, it
is something you tie a boat to when you don't want it to go away, and
I know what a field is, it is a place to grow hay to feed the cattle
when the show is six feet deep. But I'll be damned if I can figure out
what a mooring field is. A field to tie up a boat in? Seems redundant,
if it is in a field why do you need to tie it up? It is on solid land.
Is this some of this modern english that us old farts don't
understand? Heh man! Cool! Righteous!

It is things like this (and Hillary) that make me glad I don't live
there any more.

That's one of the more sensible posts you've written to date, sir! Good to
see you having a lucid moment.

But, the sad fact is that younger yachties here in the U.S.A. LOVE mooring
fields. They often support the concept whole-heartedly. They would rather
pay dearly for a dubious mooring where one is surrounded as closely as a
boat length by other fools who think a cluster f*ck is the cat's meow than
seek out a nice, quiet, private place to anchor. (Skippy comes to mind!)

Rather than acquiring the proper ground tackle and learning how to use it so
they have confidence in it, they prefer to pay for the 'privilege' of being
treated like so much cordwood. But this is sailing to most of them. They are
a generation in dependent sheep. who quake in fear at the very thought of
living in a "foreign country" that has few rules and regulations. They would
be paralyzed because there isn't a bunch of rules and regulations they must
follow and feel good about following since it takes the responsibility of
decision from them.

Wilbur Hubbard