William R. Watt

Default plywood

"Brian D" ) writes:

.. Quality
varies a lot by lot (pardon the pun) so be sure to shop several lumber yards
before buying.

I'll say. I almost fell over the day I saw a whole skid of
flawless lauan underlayment. No worm holes. No edge voids. No
splits in the face ply. Perfect.

You can run a lamp awith a metal shade tight over the face of thin
plywood like underlayment in a dark room and see the voids as
light streaks. Lauan underlayment voids show up as red streaks.
You can mark the voids with a pencil.

You can fill the voids by putting little pieces of tape over the
pencil line every few inches and drilling a small hole through the
tape and all but the opposite face ply of the wood. Then pump
filler into the holes with a caulking gun unitl it oozes out the
nearest holes. If you drill right through the plywood just put a
piece of tape over the opposet side of the plywood to seal the
hole. For filler I've used ordinary house calk and also the PL
Premium polyurethane glue builders of small boat like.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm