posted to rec.boats.electronics
John John is offline

Default solar panel trickle chargins

I purchased a small flexible solar panel from Silicon Solar Inc. Their web
site advises that the panel is "perfectly suited as a 12V battery charging
solar solution." Just what I need for trickling the 12 volt starting battery
for my dinghy. The solar panel produces 7.2v 100 mA.

A friend, who is an engineer, informed me that I am wasting my time. He says
I need 12Volts from the solar panel to charge a 12 volt battery. Thus the
7.2V will not do it.

Who's right, the manufacturer or my friend?