Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

(Richard Casady) wrote:

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:17:17 -0400, Rosalie B.
wrote:

MO (without looking it up) is that the moorings are listed on the
charts so that we know where they are, not so that we don't have to
show an anchor light if we are anchored there.

Here in Iowa a cop boat hit an anchored boat at high speed. Killed
someone in their bunk. It was a designated anchorage, but the state
tried to blame the victim for not showing lights.

There was a guy killed in Fernandina Beach - two guys came in and
anchored, but their electrical system was not good and the batteries
weren't charged so they didn't have an anchor light and also were on
the edge of the channel. They were tired and fell asleep. A tug came
along pushing barges and hit them and sank their boat. One of them
made it out and the other one didn't. They charged the tug with not
having a lookout (or something like that), so it was a split blame -
the tug for the lack of a lookout - the sailboat for not having an
anchor light and being partly in the channel.