Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 21:01:03 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
news:Mv2dndTmFbafLpfVnZ2dnUVZ_ozinZ2d@earthlink. com...
Capt. JG wrote:

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B.
said:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Not that it matters much to me. If I'm anchored, I have the lights on.

One question I've always had was whether mooring fields were considered
anchorages or something else, something closer to being a marina.

--
Jere Lull

I've never heard of a requirement for an anchor light in a mooring
field
for yachts, especially around here. Still a good idea though.

Do you fly the "day shapes" whn anchored during the day?

Curious id people actually do that or ignore it.

Richard

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

If we're going to be there long enough for me to be able to find the damn
thing... :-)

I've never seen an under 20m sailboat do that however... even ones who've
been on the hook for days/weeks. Some of them don't even show a light,
even
though they're not in a designated anchorage. I've never heard of anyone
getting a ticket for not doing that, but I suppose it happens if the CG
wants it to happen.

The problem with day shapes is that the sizes are huge. The minimum sized
anchor
dayshape is about 2 feet in diameter. Boats under 20 meters are allowed
to have
proportionately smaller dayshapes, but there are no exact formulas issued
for
what that means, so anything under 2 feet is open to dispute in court.

I have a spare Davis radar reflector spray painted black that I fly under
the
spreaders when anchored. I have no idea if it would even legally count. In
busy
anchorages, I also usually tie a few short pieces of yellow caution tape
to the
anchor rode between the roller and where it enters the water. That seems
to be
enough of a hint for the oblivious stinkpotters racing around to avoid
them
cutting too close. I treat "special anchorages no differently than any
other as
far as precautions and signals, except I don't normally use horn or bell
signals
unless there is very limited visibility due to weather conditions and it
seems
needed for safety.

Hey, you could use one of those environmentally unfriendly metalic helium
balloons painted black... just don't lose it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com