Evan Gatehouse

Default Prop selection

"Jim Woodward" jameslwoodward at attbi dot com wrote in message

I've made my thoughts on this very clear in a recent thread -- I'd buy the
traditional MaxProp three blade in a second and never look back. I'd also
consider going an inch or two smaller in diameter (and up in pitch) since
you're not near square and a principal contributor to noise and vibration

is
blade to hull distance -- every half inch counts.

I wouldn't go smaller if possible. Prop efficiency is related to diameter
to some power (^2 or ^3 I can never remember). So "an inch or two" would be
huge difference in efficiency - and a 16" prop is too small for the engine
size Glenn is installing.

I think that you can just compare prop dimensions and see what tip
clearance you can get. If you can get 20% of prop diameter great.

No opinions on the props under considerationj other than I don't like Max
props flat blades with no twist.

I might have to consider a similar propblem in a few years. I'll let the
group know in a week or so what the next boat might be

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)