JimC JimC is offline

Default I decided

wrote:

JimC wrote:

To summarize this little discussion, it's become quite clear that, other
than anecdotes, hearsay, speculation, and the usual ridicule and
sarcasm, there is no evidence supporting 99% of the negative comments
regarding the Mac26M. - As I initially noted.

You're just like the little old lady who has 47 cats... anybody who
thinks it's not great just plain HATES KITTYS, and must therefor be a
barbarian.

I've had cats, and still prefer dogs. I've sailed a Mac 26X, sailed in
company with the 26M (which despite all ad copy, and your
protestation, is pretty much the same boat)... and they don't sail
very well, period.

BTW I've also sailed the older Mac 26 which was a much better sailing
boat, and a number of the yet-older Ventures.

Martin Baxter wrote:

If I use your methodology, since no one has directly disproved the
ability of Mac26 to be a perfectly survivable and utile manned orbital
vehicle, one would be remiss to suggest that to try this would be folly.

Obviously you have no knowledge or experience with the heat-shielding
properties of un cored fiberglass, with a high proportion of chopper
gun. The Mac 26X (or the MUCH BETTER 26M) would be far better as a
reentry vehicle than most conventional sailboats.

DSK

Obviously, you have no knowledge of the design and construction of the
Mac 26M. In contrast to your assertion, it is made with multiple
fiberglas-resin layups, NOT CHOPPER GUNS. (As to its reentry
characteristics, an outer layer of a silicon zirconium based coating
would of course be recommended.) - You are also misrepresenting the
rationale of my statements regarding the survivability of the Mac 26M at
sea. What I pointed out was that the Mac 26 is one of, if not the most
popular series of sailboats ever made, with thousands still in use both
in the US and in various foreign countries. And many Mac 26 owners (in
the US and in foreign waters) have taken their boats offshore. In view
of the thousands of Mac26s out there, if the Macs had a tendency to
break up and sink under stress of any kind, it would be impossible to
keep that tendency a secret. - Yet so far, no one (on this ng or on the
Mac owners ng) has even heard of ANY Mac26 breaking up and sinking, in
heavy weather conditions, collisions, or other forms of stress.

Secondly, remember that I wasn't the one who posted statements to the
effect that the Macs would break up and sink in severe conditions. Those
statements were posted by Ganz, with gleeful but vacuous support from
several others. Since Ganz and his friends posted those assertions, Ganz
and his friends are the ones who should be providing evidence and proof
supporting their theories. - They haven't, of course, and they clearly
are unable to do so.

Jim