Jere Lull

Default The ultimate saildrive- Retractable Voidth-Schneider

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

I don't think it is quite ready for prime time yet but here is an
interesting idea. A small retractable Voith-Schneider drive like
those used on modern tugs. Retracts flat into the hull and when
extended will deliver thrust in any direction.
http://www.spw-gmbh.de/en/hb/

Boy, that thing takes up a BUNCH of height (27+")! (I think I have room
enough under the cockpit, though.)

And if it can only drive a 32' boat to 5 knots without overheating (if I
interpret correctly, English is not their first language), there's
something seriously wrong right now. We do 5 knots using only .2 gph,
which calculates to somewhat under 7 HP.

And 380v AC onboard isn't my favorite thing. In the power industry,
anything over 220 required pretty special precautions.

Still, when they get things smoothed out, it could be a very interesting
system.

--
Jere Lull