Glen

Default Ritchie Globemaster on eBay

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 23:42:16 GMT, "Brian D"
tempted fate with:

I'd vote for an amendment of the charter. Advertising not more than once a
month per individual or company. Sound good? Who owns the charter? I've
found lots of good deals and gotten good leads by seeing advertising here,
personal and otherwise. It's only a hassle if it gets carried away.

I went to the trouble to check the "official" charter in the uunet
control messages and the newusers ftp archive. I actually saw nothing
about advertising, pro or con, which is a bit unusual. This is the
charter as voted on at the groups formation. I am not familiar with
any procedure for modifying it. The few times I've seen an attempt to
modify a charter it got pretty acrimonious, since every persons
opinion about how to do it is as good as another's. Still, it seems
generally accepted that having a call for discussion followed by a 2/3
majority vote by anyone who cares enough to participate is fair. In
order to make it stick, someone needs to post the new charter at
regular intervals, and provide a homepage for it.

Disclosu I almost have a horse in this race. I occasionally post
an advertisement in a couple of groups under an "Announce" header when
I release a product. I would never purposefully do this in a group
that does not *explicitly* allow it, but whether it is "legal" is a
matter of opinion. The most important opinion, of course, is that of
the poster. Many people seem to feel that it is a netiquette
violation, but falls short of abuse.

All that said, coming down on a regular and valuable contributor for
letting the community know that an on-topic item is available is nuts.
In my opinion (see above.)

Returning to lurk mode;

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/