Jay[_3_] Jay[_3_] is offline

Default Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6 (or maybe another choice, the Tohatsu MFS4BS).

When I started this thread I truly thought I had decided to either buy
a Suzuki 4hp or 6hp for my G3 Guide V14 aluminum utility boat;
however, with all of the good information I've received with the
variety of opinions I've trimmed it down to either a Suzuki 2.5hp for
$721, a Suzuki 4hp for $1008 or a Tohatsu 4hp for $833.

I believe the best "bang for the buck" is the Tohatsu 4hp 4-stroke and
I'll probably order that this week Here are the specs for it. Does
it sound like it'll push that 14 footer around the lake at a fast walk
(4-6 mph)?

(BTW, I gave the 30 lb. electric a brief trial and it was nice and
quiet but just didn't move that Guide V14 like it had that slick-
hulled Walker Bay 10.)

The Tohatsu has through-the-prop exhaust, compression release for easy
starting, and shallow water drive. It also comes standard with an oil
pressure indicator for low oil levels and a built-in 1.1 liter (.29
U.S. gallon) fuel tank as well as having the option to add an external
fuel tank. (It comes with the fittings.) It also has a forward-
neutral-reverse gearshift and a 123cc displacement motor with an RPM
range of 4500-5500 and a 59mm x 45mm bore and stroke. The gear ratio
is 2:15:1 and it weighs 57 lbs.

The dealer admits it's a 2007 but is brand-new in-the-box and never
been in the water. The $833 (delivered to my door) price is about
$150 cheaper than the price for a new 2008. It's even blue, same
color as our boat.

So has this rookie outboarder finally arrived at the best choice for
the boat and the projected uses? Hope so. The Tohatsu, compared to
the 5hp Briggs & Stratton (I had once given a fleeting glance to that
machine because of the low price) is 1hp and 15cc less but will
probably be easier on our ears while putting about and costs just a
very few dollars more than the Briggs. And finally, I just couldn't
see the Suzuki being worth $175-$200 more than the Tohatsu for our
needs.

So before I pick up that telephone and order in the next day or two,
any last minute observations, criticisms, etc. on what I hope to be
our final choice so we can quit agonizing over this outboard thing and
get out on the lake where we belong. Thanx again.

-Jay

+++The Tohatsu 4HP 4-Stroke

http://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/4_4st.html

+++Our G3 Guide V14 yacht