Paul Cassel Paul Cassel is offline

Default The answer ISN"T an electric or a bigger windlass

Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:06:18 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

Jiffy reefing but it seems that in a real blow, I have a very hard time
of it.

It's important to ease off the mainsheet and boom vang until the
reefing lines are snugged down.

Does the mainsail stick in the luff groove or do the slides stick?

The really nice system that I saw on the 70 footer had full length
battens with a roller bearing car on the inboard end of each batten.
That sail dropped and stowed slicker than a venetian blind in reverse.

Basically the general fuss of such a large rig is what gives me fits. My
next boat, if a sailboat, will have in mast or in boom furling. I almost
installed in boom and actually ordered it but the mfg made some sort of
measuring error. I just got disgusted waiting around in port for a part
which was all wrong & left.

Remember, I"m single handing. This would not be much of deal if not for
that.