Martin Baxter Martin Baxter is offline

Default Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6

wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:36:10 +0200, "Edgar"
wrote:

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
Don't leave out the fact that the electric trolling motor power is
produced directly at the prop. There is significant power loss in a
gas outboard between where it is produced and the prop that does the
work.
Hmm, I don't really know, but I don't think the losses should be all that
big, one little water pump to turn, on set of crown and pinion gears.
Intuitively I don't think you'd lose more than 15%..

I'll bet that most outboard manufactures measure output of just the head,
no shaft, no water pump.

It would not be as much as that. 3-5% would be about the right amount.

I think you're right Edgar, on a slightly larger motor, but two horse is
pretty small and the losses would be more significant, frankly I'd be
surprised though if they were more than 10%

I think it would be a bit more than that. The drive train has to turn
a 90 degree corner. And don't forget the power consumed by the
alternator, along with the already mentioned water pump. These things
add up.

Alternator? On a two horse?,

Cheers
Marty